Monday, September 7, 2015

LINKING WORDS (So, because, but, although)

Because – So
Use because to express a reason.
Examples:
I was driving fast at the noon because I was in a hurry.
I spoke to the principal because the students didn’t do their homework.
Use so to express the result.
Examples:
I was in a hurry, so I was driving fast.
The students didn’t do their homework, so I spoke to the principal.
But – Although
Use but and although to show a contrast.
Examples:
I tried to stop but I hit the car. Although I tried to stop, I hit the car.
It was midnight but my daughter couldn’t sleep. Although it was midnight, may daughter couldn’t sleep.
Although can be placed at the beginning or in the middle of the sentence. Though can be use as an informal (especially in spoken English) alternative to although. It can also be used to create a contrast between separate, independent sentences (at the beginning, in the middle or at the end of the second sentence).

No comments:

Post a Comment